I would like to say that it’s the result of hours of pondering over new recipe ideas, however, it was my way of using up left over Easte eggs! Also, lurking in the back of my baking cupboard was a jar of cherries in kirsch which I’d been looking to use for a while (and before my husband put them in his ice cream 🍦).
Ordinarily, I would normally make this because I had stale bread that needed using, but this time I thought I’d use brioche and make it a little special, in honour of the cherries, which are a little special themselves 😊.
Bread & Butter Pudding with Cherry & Chocolate
Rich Bread & Butter Pudding with kirsch soaked cherries and smooth milk chocolate.
- 50g butter, softened
- 300g Brioche, about 6 slices
- 100g chocolate chips or pieces.
- 150g cherries
- 2 eggs
- 142ml carton double cream
- 225ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- icing sugar, for sprinkling
- Heat the oven to 150C/300F and butter your dish.
- Slice the brioche, butter and cut into triangles. Lay some flat on the base of the ovenproof dish and sprinkle over half the cherries and chocolate. Lay the remaining brioche triangles, peak upwards and place the remaining cherries and chocolate in between the slices and on top.
- Mix together the eggs, milk, cream, sugar and vanilla extract until well combined, then pour over the brioche evenly.
- Place the dish in a roasting try and fill the tray with boiling water to half way up the dish.
- Carefully place in the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream
Thanks for reading, and let me know if you give it a try.