I would like to share with you a healthy, quick and simple version of Beef Stroganoff.
When you get home from work and you want something that’s ready in 30 minutes, this is the recipe for you! You’ll not even notice it’s lower in fat either.
In the time it takes to boil the water and cook the rice, this stroganoff will be done and ready to serve.
Healthy Beef Stroganoff
Healthy, tasty, quick and simple - what more do you need
- 400g Sirloin or rib eye Steak, sliced into thin 2 cm long strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 300g mushrooms, sliced
- 3 medium onions
- 500ml beef stock
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons half fat crème fraiche
- 1 tablespoon brandy (optional)
- salt and black pepper
- Put a pot of salted water on to boil for the rice.
- Thinly slice the onions and gently fry in half the oil until browned. If you feel there isn’t enough oil, just add a little boiling water, cook until soft then turn up the heat and brown.
- Remove the onion and set aside. Add the remaining oil and fry the sliced mushrooms and fry until cooked, remove to the bowl with the onions.
- Add rice to the boiling water and should only take about 12-15 minutes to cook.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper and fry in the same pan at a high heat until browned, 2 minutes is about right. Before you remove the steak, add the brandy if using and cook for 30 seconds Remove to a separate plate.
- Add the beef stock to the pan and bring to a boil, stirring to incorporate to beef juices.
- Mix the flour with 3 tablespoons of water until smooth. Add a 4 tablespoonful of the hot stock to the flour mixture a bit at a time, stirring as you go. Over a low heat, whisk the flour mixture to the pan of stock.
- Return the onion and mushrooms to the stock, turn up the heat and cook until thickened. Reduce the heat and add the crème, mix well. Next add the beef and cook until beef is warmed through.
- check the seasoning and add extra pepper if needed.
- Drain the rice and serve immediately.
Thank you for reading, and please do let me know if you give it a try.