Strawberry Pavlova – Fresh delicious fruit and Meringue that’s crisp on the outside, gooey on the inside.
Strawberry Pavlova is my favourite spring/summer dessert ever! Yes, ever! I’m not a great dessert fan unless it’s one of the classics. Plus, if I choose a dessert, it is usually fruit based, I’m not a chocolate fan (please don’t judge me)! Lol.
I was given this recipe by a colleague over 10 years ago and its still going strong today. Even my father-in-law likes it (and he usually doesn’t like anything not made by himself!).
One word of warning, if you’ve never made meringue before, you MUST let it cool in the oven without opening the door. My advice is to cook it in the evening and leave it in till the morning. I’ve always done it that way since I made the mistake of taking it out too soon and it cracked and collapsed due to the difference in temperature.
Strawberry Pavlova - Fresh delicious fruit and meringue that's crisp on the outside, gooey on the inside.
For the Meringue
- 3 Large egg whites
- 6 ounces caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon wine vinegar
- 1 level teaspoon corn flour
For the topping
- 400g of strawberries
- 300 ml whipping cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C/300F and prepare a large baking sheet, lined with parchment paper which has a 7 inch disk drawn on it.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl and beat with an electric whisk (you can use a had whisk, but it would take forever!) until the meringue forms soft peaks that don’t collapse.
- Next, slowly beat in the sugar, one spoonful at a time.
- Next beat in the vinegar, vanilla extract and cornflower. Your meringue should be glossy and quite stiff.
- Gently spoon the mixture onto the parchment paper and spread to fill the 7 inch circle. The disk should be approximately 1 1/2 inches high. This will become larger as it cooks, so make sure there is enough space around it.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour. turn the oven off but don’t open the door until the meringue is completely cold, over-night is best.
- When cold, carefully remove from the parchment paper, turn upside down, and place on its serving plate.
- Whip the cream until firm (not too firm as you still need to spread it on the delicate meringue). Carefully spread over the meringue and top with your strawberries.
Thanks for reading and be sure to leave me a comment if you have tried the recipe.