At the end of the meal, she announced that she would happily eat it again and more importantly said that she would love to make it herself.
Not one to shy away from a challenge, I said I would give it a go and write a post if it went well. Needlesss to say that it went well and I wrote the post as promised! This is a delicious spring-time dish that I will definitely be making again and again!
So Ceri, this is for you! I hope you enjoy it and it is close to what you ate that day!
Roasted Squash & Kale Risotto
A fresh, light, Italian-inspired risotto recipe perfect for a Spring dinner.
- 260g Arborio Rice
- 400g Butternut Squash
- 2 handfuls of kale, stripped of the stems and finely sliced
- Large white onion
- 100ml white wine (optional)
- 1 1/2-2 litres of vegatable stock
- 2 tbsp Parmesan and extra for finishing
- Knob of butter about 10g
- Olive oil
- Peel and dice the butternut squash, coat with olive oil and bake in the oven on 180C/360F for approx 20 mins until tender and slightly charred on the edges.
- Why the squash is baking, finley dice the onion and fry gently in a deep frying pan, being carefull not to brown the onion. You want them to stay white as this is a very white risotto.
- Next add the rice and cook for 2 minuted, stirring constantly. Add the wine if using and cook until the rice has absorbed the liquor effect and the alcohol has burned off.
- Add the stock a ladle at a time, allowing the rice to absorb slowly ensuring the rice doesn’t boil in the stock.
- 10 minutes into cooking the rice, add the kale and cook in the rice.
- 10 minutes later, check the squash and remove if cooked.
- When the rice is tender, mix in the butter, Parmesan and butternut squash.
- Serve immediately with some grated Parmesan on top.
If you are vegan, you can substitute the butter for oil and leave out the cheese, it will still be delicious!
Thanks for reading and please let me know if you give it a go.