This is one of my daughters favourite meals, and there aren’t many, I can tell you! As a child, she would eat anything, now she is an adult, she eats nothing! One day she likes bacon, next day she doesn’t, the change is really that quick!
However it has remained a meal she enjoys (fingers crossed that she doesn’t change her mind) so we eat it quite often.
This is a grate meal to freeze or it will store in the fridge for up to 3 days, just ensure you defrost fully (if freezing)before re-heating until pipping hot.
Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 1hr 30 mins
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 300g Chicken breast
- 300g Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 500g passata
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 medium red onions, sliced
- 400g butternut squash
- 400g can chickpeas (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 100g couscous per person
- 150ml stock per 100g couscous
- 1 large courgette
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 medium red onions
- Preheat the oven to 170C/340F
- In a bowl, mix all the spices and garlic.
- Cut the chicken into chunks and add to the bowl of spices and mix well.
- Pour the oil into a cast iron pot (Dutch oven), when hot, seal the chicken.
- Add the onions to the pot, mix and cook for 2 minutes.
- Next, add the butternut squash and mix, cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, passata and stock cube to the pot, mix and bring to a boil.
- Place the pot in the oven and cook for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- While it’s cooking, chop the courgette, peppers and red onion into chunks, place on a baking tray, sprey with oil and season with salt and pepper. I roasted some extra veg (see pic) at the same time to add to my work lunches, why not 🙂
- Place in the oven with the tagine (top shelf) until roasted, approx 40 minutes.
- Cool the tagine and veg and place in the fridge or freezer.
When ready to eat, heat the tagine and roast veg. Place the couscous in a large bowl (1 part couscous to 1.5 parts stock), pour in the hot stock, cover with cling film . When couscous is ready, about 5-8 minutes, fluff up with a folk and stir in the roasted veg. Serve immediately.
A mid week meal in minutes 🙂
Thanks for reading and follow for more recipes.